Here are a few important facts and figures about road traffic in Germany in 2020
- In 2020, there were a total of 2.6 million road traffic accidents, of which 274,000 involved personal injury and 3,187 were fatal.
- Most road traffic accidents occurred on rural roads (62%) and in built-up areas (29%), while motorways were responsible for only 6% of accidents.
- In 2020, a total of 46.5 million motor vehicles were registered in Germany, of which 47% were passenger cars (cars), 22% were lorries (trucks) and 13% were motorbikes.
- Most of the registered motor vehicles were in the federal states of North Rhine-Westphalia (10.7 million), Bavaria (9.5 million) and Baden-Württemberg (8.5 million).
- In 2020, a total of 707 million tonnes of goods were transported on German roads, of which 67% was truck traffic and 29% passenger car traffic.
- The average CO2 emissions of passenger cars registered in Germany in 2020 were 137.8 grams per kilometre, a decrease of 10% compared to 2010.
- In 2020, there was a significant drop in traffic due to the Corona pandemic, especially in spring during the lockdown. However, the exact figures are not yet available.